Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sugarpie Honeybunch

Successive blog day number 2: Here goes.
I started writing today about exactly what I was doing; writing notes on 18th century France...not that interesting for the general public. So I got a better idea. As part of my own 30 Day challenge, I am going to try a homemade recipe every day, report back, and encourage (or warn) you to do the same!
Today I'm starting with something that may sound odd, but a regiment that I've come to love!

Honey as a facial cleanser.
Bear with me friends, this one's a goody.
It started as part of my plan to limit the products I put on my skin. I've always been sensitive to chemicals and commercial products, and as a result, a bit of hippie when it comes to skin and body care. (not in the excessive body hair kind of way don't worry). More in the I-make-my-own-products and use food on my skin kind of way. And it's been one of the best things I've ever done!

Try it:
1 tbsp honey (or enough to lightly cover your face)
for an exfoliant I add about a tsp of baking soda.
Massage it into your face lightly in circular motions (this also helps with superficial circulation and cell regeneration, also tones and firms skin)
I like to leave either plain honey or the mixture on for about 10 min, but you can wash it off sooner if you like.
Pat your face dry. Marvel at your baby's-bottom-on-your-face feeling!
You can thank me later.

As a moisturizer I only use 100% coconut oil. Just a light covering, remember, your skin only absorbs the surface it touches. Same goes for lotions, sunscreen...ok maybe lather on the SPF but a BBQ thick layer of lotion isn't doing you any good. As far as oils go, anything that's 100% vegetable oil is awesome, and won't clog your pores! (I promise!) Try olive, coconut, jojoba (this is closest to your skin's natural pH level), sesame, the list goes on!

Honey is also a good hair mask. Don't worry it all comes out. Same goes for oils! Just REMEMBER to put shampoo in FIRST! Otherwise the soap won't get past the oil's surface. Massage thoroughly into scalp, a bit of olive oil mixes well with the honey, down to the roots and leave for 10-15 min.

Try honey on more than your toast tomorrow! Let me know how it goes!

Love,
Whit

p.s here's some links on more things honey-related:
Honey to Remove Whiteheads
Overall benefits of Honey
I wanna make these!
MD certified info

No comments:

Post a Comment