Friday, December 10, 2010

Whitney's Wheat-Free Banana Bread

So to start off my mission of holiday baking, I'm starting with a tried and true recipe that I love. The recipe originally calls for rice flour, but I substitute with my own flour mix to add a smoother texture, and I find it tastes better than plain rice flour. I made two loafs today, one nut-filled (walnuts) and one nut-free for my work Christmas party tomorrow. :) Enjoy, would love feedback if you give it a try!

1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 large bananas)
3/4 cup sugar (I used organic cane sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1-1/4 cup flour mix (1/2 cup sourgum flour, 1/2 cup tapioca flour, 1/4 cup potato starch)
1/4 cup nuts (or not!)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil (I used grape-seed oil)

Add bananas, sugar and vanilla in medium bowl and beat at med speed for 1 min. Add eggs and mix well.
 In a large bowl mix flours, nuts, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add banana mixture alternating with oil and mix well at low speed.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 min (check at 40 min, depending on your oven. I find I have to bake things longer than recipes call for. This one originally said 30-35)
Cool 5 min before removing from pan
This makes one medium size loaf.
Happy Holidays!


1 comment: