Friday, December 24, 2010

Wheat-Free Gingerbread Men

Okay! So I have finally made approximately 60 cookies so far and can probably make at least two dozen more with the dough I still have. I made two batches and let them cool overnight. I must admit, these cookies are a wee pain in the ass...as some cookies tend to be. And you have to work fast before the dough softens too much and you can't pick up the little men...but success! I prevailed and they are actually decent. As always, my wheat-free baking is a bit of an experiment. This time I used a mix of tapioca flour, potato starch and sourgum flour. Once I was rolling out the dough though I added a little brown rice flour, just to mix it up and add a little different texture. Feel free to experiment with a different mix/ratio of flours, I find that's the best part! The original recipe uses all-purpose flour, and is from www.allrecipes.com 

1 cup butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup or molasses (I used 1/3 cup of each!)
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups flour (1 1/2 cup sourgum, 1 1/4 cup tapioca flour, 1 1/4 cup potato starch)
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground cloves

In a medium saucepan, stir together butter, brown sugar, and molasses/corn syrup, over medium heat until dissolved. Pour into a large bowl, and let cool for 5 min.
Stir the beaten egg and vanilla into the mixture until smooth.
Sift together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves; stir into wet mixture.
Cover and chill dough overnight.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
On a lightly floured surface (here's where I used potato starch again and brown rice flour), roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into with cookie cutter, and place onto unprepared cookie sheet. (if you have one of those rubber oven mats the cookies won't stick at all).
Bake for 10-15 min, cookies should be firm

Happy Holidays everyone, and happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment