Thursday, April 4, 2013

So, I'm presenting at a conference!

This semester has been an interesting mix of courses. Some I enjoyed from the start (I'm looking at you ARTH300 and WMST224A) and others, have well, let's just say the end of the semester will be a welcome relief. I have however, been surprised by one course that I had no intention, nay, desire to take. And it so happens that this same course has now provided me with the opportunity to present my own research at a conference this weekend. Life is a mixed up creature sometimes. I am very grateful (if more than slightly nervous and unprepared) for the experience. I feel a knot of anxiety for the topic I'm presenting, as it's something that has interested me for a long time, and as an art history student, has grown with my academic experiences. Based on that, I wish I could twist it to a more art-based presentation. I'm glad to do the research at this level, and I hope I will have another opportunity in my undergrad to apply my research and expand on it. As I haven't presented yet, I don't want to reveal too much, as not to second guess myself too soon :)

If anyone is interested in finding out more about my research, I'd be happy to discuss it! I can say that it involves tattoos and consumerism. 
*OK maybe that is the topic, but it's more complex than that...

Does anyone have their own experiences at academic conferences to share? The good? The bad? The not-to-be-missed?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you did great!
    I'd like to know more about your research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Florin! I'll post the paper so you can have a read :)

      Delete