Friday, February 11, 2011

Wheat Free Mixed Berry Pie. Take 1

So this was a trial run. I was low on shortening so I didn't have enough to make the lattice for the top crust. Kinda played around with the measurements as this was my first attempt at a wheat-free pie. And I used all frozen berries.


Crust:
1 1/2 cup flour (I used 1 cup brown rice and 1/2 cup tapioca flour)
1/2 cup shortening
4 tbsp cold water


Preheat oven to 400F.
Cut shortening into flour until a crumbly texture forms. Add water. Work dough with hands until soft and form into a ball. 
Place dough in 8 inch pie pan (I only had 10 inch; maybe part of the problem) and press it into the bottom and sides using fingers or the back of a spoon.
Use fork to prick the bottom of the pie to prevent buckling. 
Place crust in oven for 12-15 min, or until edged are golden brown.
original recipe at about.com

Filling:
(the original recipe called for fresh berries, but I combined the quantities for all frozen berries. If you use frozen let them thaw after mixing for about 20-30 min)
1 cup fresh strawberries, halved
1/2 sugar (I added a bit more after the berries had thawed)
3 tbsp cornstarch (also added more to make the filling stick together better)
2 cups raspberries 
1 1/2 cups blueberries
(Or about 4 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries)

In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar and cornstarch.
Add strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries; gently toss until berries are coated. (When using frozen fruit allow fruit mixture to stand for 15 to 30 minutes, or until fruit is partially thawed.
Stir berry mixture, and transfer to the crust lined pie plate. 
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes when using fresh fruit, 50 minutes for frozen fruit. 
Cool on a wire rack.

original recipe at allrecipes.com

Notes:
I am definitely going to have to play around with the crust. I think more shortening and enough to make a slightly thicker crust would help a lot. This version came out a little too hard. Also, after filling the crust with the filling, I sprinkled it with more sugar and some cinnamon. The filling turned out awesome! 
If anyone tries a variation on this please let me know! Don't be afraid to experiment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment