Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Eve

I apologize for lagging on the countdown this weekend. I was enjoying my own Valentine's and didn't make the time. And so, just in time for the evening before the big day, I wanted to post one of my favourite Shakespeare sonnets.  I know Shakespeare is overdone but if you can't read him at Valentine's...

Sonnet 116

Let me not to the marriage of true minds 
Admit impediments; love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds, 
Or bends with the remover to remove: 
O, no, it is an ever-fixèd mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken; 
It is the star to every wand'ring bark, 
Whose worth's unknown, although his heighth be taken. 
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks 
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, 
But bears it out even to the edge of doom. 
If this be error and upon me proved, 
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment