Friday, February 18, 2011

Britney's Back?

So I watched the premiere of Britney Spears' new video Hold It Against Me last night and I have to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan. It might have had something to do with the fact that I had watched the two hour countdown of select Britney music videos that made me expect more from the pop princess, or it might be the fact that, after having watched that many videos already, the 2011 version seemed somewhat repetitive? Maybe it's just me, but I still think Brit is an icon and a legacy. (Gaga doesn't look so original in rhinestone sunglasses and barely there outfits anymore. I got your back Britney). I did find a theme in most (see, all) of her videos, which somehow seem to foreshadow her eventual social suicide and mental breakdown? All the lyrics about people following her, stardom somehow not being enough to make her happy, even Toxic shows the singer trying to point out what a leech society is. And considering she doesn't write her own songs, is it too much to theorize that the industry was planning on making Britney so big, only so that she had the farthest to fall? Like anything new, it's only popular when it first comes out and  top of the line, and again when it makes headlines for crashing, finally.
Personally, and I know this is probably a little paranoid if anything, but I think the media and those around Britney were plotting her celebrity death for profit. Having her father control all her finances and her career, it doesn't seem unlikely that others were happier with the turnout of Britney's life than she was. I do feel for her. I don't think I could last that long in the spotlight and not go at least half crazy. It's a sad world we live in when 16 year olds get memoirs and the icons of my generation are only making headlines for showing their nether-regions. One day your turn will come Mr. Bieber, soon you will be the Britney of tomorrow. Sadly, since your haircut only suits 12 year olds, and once people realize you're actually a lesbian in disguise, I don't think you'll last long enough to taste both ends of the spoon.
True fans of Britney, I stand with you. It takes a big person to scrape herself off the underside of pop culture and still remain true to her music. Keep it up Brit, I know there's a I'm A Salve For You sequel in you somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment